DESHAWN SNOW FOUNDATION, INC
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND CORE PROGRAMS
Since 2006, DeShawn Snow Foundation has been giving teenage girls with low self-esteem the tools to overcome academic, social and emotional difficulties so that they can reach their full potential. We truly believe that every girl must possess a healthy dose of self-love, genuine self-acceptance, and the power to forgive to become the woman that she is meant to be.
DeShawn Snow Foundation (DSF) helps girls realize these goals through two distinct programs: the DSF Angels and the DSF Empowerment Camp for Girls. Both are designed as a personal growth and healthy living program that works with girls to enhance their goal setting, communication, networking and leadership skills as a proactive measure to prevent substance abuse, violence, teen pregnancy, and other negative behaviors.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Goal: Build self-esteem and confidence in teenage girls ages 11-17.
- Improve communication skills by encouraging candid and open dialogue among teenage girls of diverse backgrounds.
- Facilitate a nurturing transition from adolescence to womanhood through mentorship.
- Provide educational opportunities through after-school tutoring, mentoring and educational workshops.
- Encourage social and cultural awareness by providing opportunities to interact and socialize with girls from different cultures, races, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Promote and encourage healthy lifestyles by teaching the girls to focus on the mind, body, and spirit and providing them with various activities designed to engage them in sports, weight management, nutrition, and image development.
- Promote volunteerism and community awareness by creating opportunities for the girls to partner with and coordinate activities with other non-profit organizations such as shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, and other community service entities.
- Promote positive role models via events such as a Powerful Women’s Luncheon.
- Incentivize positive behavior and individual responsibility.
The organization was founded by DeShawn Snow who has been the recipient of several awards including the 2009 “Big Heart Award” by Pure Heart Girls Mentoring Program; the 2009 Athlete of the Year Charity Weekend “Spouse of the Year” by United Athletes Foundation; 2009 NBA All-Star Gospel Brunch “Slam Dunk Honoree”; the 2008 Humanitarian Award from the National Basketball Wives Association; and the 2007 “Best Community Service Initiative” by Luxury Conclave.